As the weather continues to change, 3 tips to help keep (or find :)) your zen:
1. Start your morning with a glass of warm/hot water with a little bit of lemon.
- This is a great way to hydrate (replenish from the night’s sleep) and get your digestive system moving.
- You may also feel it helps relax your brain — there is something comforting about a warm glass — especially as the weather continues to get cooler!
2. Take 5 minutes each day (I like to do this first thing in the morning and then again before bed) to just find a quiet place and breathe.
- Close your eyes, play some soft music maybe…. and just focus on listening to your breathe.
- If you can – practice taking a deep inhale for a count of 4 and then exhale for the same count.
- allow yourself to indulge and even get lost in the moment! (set an alarm or play a song that is 5 minutes if you are really worried about getting too lost in the moment :))
3. Practice smiling throughout the day.
- It may sound silly — but I realized for myself — I thought I’m a pretty easy-going person, but it seems as if there are less opportunities to smile through the day. I noticed that I would spend a lot of my time at work wanting to come across as serious – and didn’t realize that it by default I was smiling less and less… Then I would go grocery shopping and I had to get through the aisles — head down and no small talk — OR smiling… and then I had to finish all my errands…. and so on and so on… and at the end of the day I was exhausted….
- So now, I try and smile – once every hour at least — and my day is much more pleasurable.
- Try it yourself — smile once a day, then progress to 2x a day…
Homework for those inclined to master their zen and happiness:
- once you have mastered smiling therapy — graduate to laughter therapy — laugh for 1 minute a day… then progress to 2… and keep going — how long can you laugh for…
- Sounds silly right? But why do we hold ourselves back from being happy — allowing ourselves to experience happiness?